Sunday, March 07, 2004

Look Up

Eventually, I'll put up an articulate, driven post about why it is the responsibility of every Asian American male to hate William "She Bang" Hung and those that would make him famous (short answer--William "She Bang" Hung and the producers of American Idol have set back non-FOB prortrayals of Asians in American Pop Culture by two decades, it's as if Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat and Yao Ming didn't exist), but it's 86 degrees here in the City of Angels and I have another project going on. So, I'll leave you with some random thoughts I've had in the last couple of days, sorta' like Larry King without the insanity.

1. Yeah, I'm glad that Duke won last night against UNC. I'm also very glad that UNC is looking much improved under Roy Williams--a rivalry ain't much if the other team sucks ass. Anyway, during the half-time show, the commentators were mentioning what a strange year it was when UCLA may not even make it to the Pac-10 Tourney. So here's a question for you: UNC and UCLA--both teams are going through a restructuring year under a new coach after several mediocre seasons. Both teams have the talent--during their lost years, they showed signs of brilliance admist the dross. The new coaches of both teams come from Top 10 programs--Howland from Pitt, Williams from Kansas. And to be silly, both teams have powder blue in their uniforms. So why is it that UNC is doing well in a rather bloody conference while UCLA seems to have given up the season in a craptastic conference?

2. So I might be a bit premature about that whole being written off for my religious beliefs (or lack thereof) by a certain woman in a band who happens to be designing my business card thing. OK, that's all you get. I'm taking the cautiously optimistic path for now, and trying not to jinx anything by blathering about it like my usual modis operandi.

3. Random Santa Monica scene: Near empty British pub three blocks away from the ocean, eating a fish and chips lunch with Guinness. At the bar, an old man with a heavy Mancunian accept blathers away with the all American bartender. Yet another reason to love living in L.A. area.

No comments: