Monday, March 22, 2004

Red Suitcase Full Of Clothes

Because work has been insane lately (like I just wanted to rest my eyes for five minutes and when I opened them back again it was an hour later insane), I'm gonna be an ol' wuss and do one of those random list of things on my mind in the past week.

1. Best cynical yet pleading lyric about love made even more poignant by the context of the song I've heard in a long long time: "True love ain't that hard to find / Not that either one of us will ever know." Ryan Adams, Please Do Not Let Me Go.

2. Random snippet between High School GalPal and Marty Stark last week:

Marty: Yeah, I know that I shouldn't be pissed off about Biz Card Chick, but that whole 'Hey, you're not my type but please still validate my ego and tell me I'm good' response is just way lame.

HSGP: I know. She sounded like a seventeen year old. But how about the chick you tried to set her up with you? What's her story?

Marty: What do you mean what's Set-up Chick's story? She has a live-in boyfriend she's been going out with for 5 years, she's the boss' sister, and I work with her. That's the story.

HSGP: Uh huh, and she randomly gives you calls at home to talk, and everytime you talk with her, you speak for hours. She's told you several times about how she's had her talk with the live-in boyfriend about marriage and he just keeps lamely pushing it off. When you mentioned Makeup Chick and how she had a boyfriend, Set-Up Chick said that didn't matter and that women live with their boyfriends for the wrong reason. And you two have had dinner with each other several nights now.

Marty: OK, where is this conversation going?

HSGP: Let's put it this way. When you talked about Biz Card chick, I didn't hear a smile in your voice. The only time I hear a smile in your voice is when you talk about Set-up Chick.

(Lengthy pause)

Marty: Oh fuck.

3. Images Marty Stark Had After Conversation Identified in Point 2: Slow motion black and white footage of buffalos going over a cliff, Binky the Crotch-Hammer of Frustration laughing maniacally, a man hit in crotch with football.

4. DUKE MADE THE SWEET SIXTEEN!

5. GODDAMN YOU BINKY!!!

6. I know it's a song that the WB will be playing over and over again on its teen angst One Tree Gilmore Hill In Everwood shows, but Ryan Adams' cover of "Wonderwall" has been on repeat today. The original Oasis version worked fine on its own--a power pop Beatle-esque song of the classic slightly drunken boy telling girl how much he loves her sung with a confident swagger full of guitar flourishes. Ryan Adams' cover is stripped down, almost acoustic. Instead of a swagger, he sings the verse "I said maybe you're gonna be the one that saves me" in an almost questioning way, like he's nervously bearing his soul, knowing that in all likelihood the girl is going to reject him. And the song is made better for it.

7. Point 6 has nothing to do with either Points 2 or 3. No. Really.

No comments: