Wednesday, February 12, 2003

Inertia Creeps

I had a rather disturbing dream last night. I was walking along a wilderness trail with a group of people, just hitting the section at the middle of a mountain, when I ran into the popular section of the trail. For some reason, people hiking with dogs chose this particular spot as the shitting area for their pets. This really pissed me off because they never cleaned up the area. The area was literally full of shit -- chunky shit, runny shit. I was doing my best to avoid getting feces all over my khakis. Some poor park ranger had to pick up the shit with his hands (though, lucky for him, his hands were covered with plastic bags). I got some splatter on my khakis, which further pissed me off.

Eventually, I got to the commercial area of the trail. It was basically an outdoor mall in the middle of the wilderness. The group I was with got hungry, so we hit a burger joint. It was starting to get dark. We decided to get a table outside. The busboys had not cleared everything yet, so there were plates with leftovers - fries, a half eaten chicken - still on the table. One guy started eating the leftovers. I was disgusted. Geez, couldn't the guy wait until a menu was brought? Then my cell phone rang. My dad called to tell me that they were planning on staying at camp for four more days. I was uber pissed now. I only came on the trip because my folks told me they were staying for the weekend, and they knew that I had to be somewhere in four days. Then I woke up.

Sound and fury meaning nothing? Maybe not.

Today was a bit of a backslide. Maybe it's the weather. Maybe it's the fatigue. Maybe it's a little bit of A, a little bit of B. A bit of jealousy. A bit of anger. There's a part of me that still cares what a Certain Someone thinks. And a larger part of me that's still angry as hell. So what does this have to do with the dream?

One theory holds that every person you see in a dream is part of you. So, the guy eating the leftovers? That's me still dwelling on the past. What are leftovers but stuff left behind? I'm pissed off that I'm still caring about what everyone at the office thinks of me. All the shit? Well, I'm not the only person with issues in the office, and I'm letting that affect me as well. I guess I need to keep on moving.

No comments: