Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Karma Police

"This is what you'll get when you mess with us . . ."

To fate, destiny, the idiot monkey god who flings dung of misfortune upon my life or whatever higher power exists:

OK, I get it. I apologize for my last entry doubting your power. I mean, when the first song on my Ipod this morning was "The Threat to the Governor of Haurfleur" from the Henry V soundtrack, I said, hmmmmmm. And then The Pixies "Motorway to Roswell" came up ("Last night he could not make it/he tried hard but could not make it/. . .and now we wonder how could this so great turn so shit"), I said, "OK, there's no pattern, just noise." Even when the third song was "Honky's Ladder" by the Afghan Whigs ("Caught you motherfucker where I want you, I got five upon your dime"), yeah, I started sweating.

And the day turned out to be absolutely shit--staff issues, including a staff member lying directly to my face, things getting fucked up on my watch, general work crapola I thought was over. Even then, I stood my own against this onslaught, thinking the whole thing with the Ipod and the crap workday was juuuuuuust coincidence.

What happens when I get home, I get a call from the ex--at least that saved me from punching myself in the heart three times and in the crotch five.

So oh idiot monkey god whom I shall deem George, I get the picture. I shall believe in karma again. I have done my penance. Can you please call off the crotch hammer of frustration now? Pretty please?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still don't know if I believe in karma, destiny, etc., though I find myself offering the comforting words of, "things all work out in the end," and "things happen for a reason" to my friends and to myself when I don't get my way. Maybe I'm just lying to myself too.

I guess thinking about karma and things happening for a reason begs the question of "what reason?" and if you take that then you have to believe in some sort of predestination or some sort of overall justice... and that has to take you to some higher being. Maybe that's why I can't even start going down that path. I'm just realizing that I truly have no belief in a higher being. None. And that's a little scary because I don't have a safety blanket.