Sunday, April 02, 2006

Krafty

For the first time since I've started blogging, there's been radio silence because I've been content. There's been no drama making my life a delirium of highs and lows--no stalkers, no bizarre love triangles, no women who've just broken off an engagements looking at me with odd hope in their eyes, no repeated breakups with the inevitable (and more fucked up) reconciliations, no bosses throwing staplers at me, no associates scheming behind my back, no feeling of dread of a daily ten hours of sociopathic and psychotic behavior that seems to pass for the norm in most workplaces.

I've simplified my life--wake up, go to work in Santa Monica until the sun sets over the Pacific turning the sky bright red and the ocean into black glass, put the Ipod on shuffle and go through the day with a soundtrack, fall asleep looking forward to the next day. I try not to think about the last few years, and instead focus on the odd confluence of a great single--New Order, Twilight Singers, Massive Attack--popping up on the Ipod just as I hit a patch of sunlight and an ocean breeze while wandering around the Promenade during lunch. And I think, "Maybe life could be better, but if this is the best, I guess I'll keep going on to the next screen."

OK, not the most exciting of lives, but I've had enough of excitement since I've moved back down to L.A. four years ago, some good, but a lot of the bad Mexican soap opera it's only entertaining if it isn't happening to you excitement. So this lack of drama, and the heretofore unknown feeling of contentment, well, it's certainly better than the fear, the angst, the broken heart.

Yeah, I know, what about the novel. What about being a writer. I'll get there, but I'm in the process of getting my bearings back. You can't blame a guy for wanting a breather. And then I'll get back to writing.

Now, if something exciting walks across my path in a slinky saunter, I certainly wouldn't turn my back and walk away. But right now, I'm just happy waiting for the next Twilight Singers album ("Powder Burns" in May), Darren Arofnosky's "The Fountain," the third season of Battlestar Galactice in October, and the British publication of Richard K. Morgan's new novel later this year. Oh, and finally getting a fucking Xbox 360 and a nice tax refund doesn't hurt that whole contentment dillio either.

"Just give me one more day (one more day)
Give me another night (just another night)
I need a second chance (second chance)
This time I'll get it right (This time I'll get it right)"

-New Order, "Krafty"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think everyone needs some time to retreat into themselves. Of course, it's much easier to retreat and feel good when you have the sun on your face.

Anonymous said...

you sound good, i'm glad. i hope contentment continues to follow you.