Tuesday, March 12, 2002

I should be freaking about the interview I have tomorrow morning. Instead, I have the following running through my head:

Well, there's more women out there.
Get over already.
You have to stop looking for Ms. Perfect, and go out with more women. Who knows?

And yes, the analytical part of my brain that's hashed out countless number of motions and got a major witness to admit he's full of shit on the record realizes my friends are right. I mean, in all likelihood, she's moved on with her life and hasn't given me a second thought. Probably very practical minded, she said "He lives over three hundred miles away, I'm attractive, single and living in the land o' beautiful people. Right, like I'm going to start a relationship with him."

But, here's the thing. I've had years of watching John Cusack flicks, and reading books by Nick Hornby and Michael Marshall Smith. Years being exposed to the quirky guy finally getting the happy ending. And not the saccharine John Hughes forcing nice guy to end up with nice girl type ending. I mean years of quirky guys with weaknesses and hangups and not at all nice ending up with the right one after a difficult pursuit.

And do you really want to live in a world in which the quirky guy ends up living with fifty cats, eating government cheese and waiting to die? Or how about a world where there is no "the one," just a variety of options?

No comments: