Wednesday, March 27, 2002

Signal to Noise

I had my call back at the L.A. office of Big Law Firm That Shall Remain Unnamed (BLFTSRU) on Monday, and the strange coincidences kept piling up. Monday morning, I walked almost straight into the filming of a new TV show as I stepped off the hotel elevator into the lobby. As soon as I left the BLFTSRU (interviewed with six attorneys - lasted well over three hours), the cops stopped traffic in the intersection outside the building just as I was about to cross the street to the hotel -- a driving scene was being filmed with Jet Li as the driver. Janet Reno was on my flight back to Silicon Valley. In fact, I was right behind her in the line of the security pat down during pre-boarding.

So to some up all the synchonicities/improbable events surrounding my interview at BLFTSRU:
1. Seeing the only L.A. partner I worked with at my former BLFTSRU coming into the building just as I was leaving the screening interview with new BLFTSRU.
2. The woman standing in for the recruiting coordinator of new BLTSRU having the almost the identical name as LA Chick.
3. Walking almost straight into the filming of a new TV show the morning of my call back.
4. Seeing Jet Li just as I was walking out of the call back - (Jet Li ain't a round eye, and neither am I).
5. Standing behind Janet Reno during the pre-boarding pat down - (for the slower ones out there, she's a lawyer and so am I).

Five one in a million (well, at least several hundred thousand) events occuring on or around my interviews with BFLTSRU. One of these events, fine, chalk it up to coinicedence. Two, you gotta admit you start saying "Hmmmmm." FIVE OF THESE? I think life might be giving me a message, but what it is I'm still not sure. Glimpses of the future? Successful Asian guy and successful attorney - that wouldn't be too bad. Hey, just as my limo - paid by BFLTSRU - pulled into the hotel on Sunday, a wedding was spilling out onto the hotel entrance. So does this mean I get the job (synchronicity 1), get the girl (synchronicity 2), get married (the wedding), begin a new life (synchronicity 3), become a successful Asian guy (synchronicity 4) and end up being successful law type guy (synchronicity 5)? Or are all these events just random?

'Course, it would be a pisser if I don't end up getting the job.

No comments: