Sunday, March 03, 2002

Perfect Job

I'm already working on a vodka headache only after my second screwdriver (ahh, the decrepitude of age--what am I going to be like when I actually turn thirty), surfing the web and only half-paying attention to the mediocre X-Files episode out of the corner of my eye. Suddenly, I hear The Chemical Brother's "Galaxy Bounce." Friggin' Nissan is using The Chemical Brothers to hawk cars. I've always thought being the guy who chooses the music (as opposed to getting the legal clearance to use it - that involves boring licensing issues, no thanks) would be a cool gig. The latest Nissan commercial adds further support that choosing music for commercials and TV shows would be the perfect job for me. I either own or have owned over 70% of albums containing music heard in the more hip commercials. Plus, I've heard songs from my favorite band du jour, Zero 7, played on two of my fave shows, Smallville and West Wing (both shows have also played "Evolution Revolution Love" by Tricky). I wonder how you get a gig like that? (Certainly not by staying in Silicon Valley, whoo boy.)

On A Random Tangent

Speaking of background music accompanying snarky banter, after replaying my flirtation with LA Chick for the (let's see, think about this at least twice an hour for the last month and a half, subtract time sleeping, that would be, ahhh hell) umpteenth hundred time, I realize why I'm doomed. So here's the scene: Late twenty-something guy in a black sweater, khakis, and a rather flash black overcoat on the second floor of a bar in Westwood. He's been talking to an attractive blonde woman with blue eyes about music. He quit law to write. She quit acting / singing to enter the law. They've been talking for a while, and suddenly Coldplay's "Shiver" starts playing.

I'm doomed I tells ya! Doomed!

No comments: