Monday, April 08, 2002

Back Where We Started

I had the archtypal back to school dream last night. The dream began with me back in Ellicott City, Maryland waiting for the school bus to pick me up. I was in a neighborhood of new townhouses (even though in real life, I had lived in a suburban community full of two story colonials). The sky was very grey, like a town in a Morrissey song. I had been out of school for a long time for reasons I didn't know nor care about. I wasn't excited about going back to school, nor was I depressed. Going back to school was one of those things that just were - like oranges being, well, orange.

So the bus arrived, full of kids I didn't know, and winded through narrow streets full of townhouses. When I arrived at school, the sky looked like it was about to unleash sheets of snow. I got my books out of my locker and went to class. Then suddenly, I began wondering if I was in the right class. I realized that I was supposed to be in biology instead. Then I realized I had a bio test coming up. I didn't panic because I thought, "Hey, big deal, I'll just put in some extra studying time. I've survived law school exams, this should be nothing."

But then I realized I had missed a lot of classes. In fact, I was missing the bio class right now, and I was sitting in the wrong class. As soon as that class ended, I couldn't remember which class I was supposed to be in. Actually, I couldn't remember my class schedule at all. And I knew I missed a lot of classes. I was thinking I could just get my schedule from the school office, and that they'd understand since I'd been out of school for a long time. Then I woke up.

Needless to say, I didn't wake up feeling refreshed and well rested.

No comments: