Tuesday, June 18, 2002

I Fought The Law And The Law Won

So it looks like I'm going back to the 9 to 7 if you're lucky 180 billable hours a month one weekend day off every other weekend life of a law talking guy. The independent contracting gig came through, and, on the positive side, there are a lot of BigLaw refugees at the firm--at least two took more time off than I did and look to become permanent members of this SmallLaw. Given that this is still a horrible market, there are a lot of lawyers still scrambling to find any gig, and those lawyers don't have over $90K in their checking account, I know I'm rather fortunate. Still, there's a part of me that can't fucking stand the idea of going back to the law.

I mean, think about it this way. Remember those shots they gave you back in elementary school? They'd line up your second grade class in front of the nurse's office. Yeah, your teacher and your nurse are telling you that the shot is good for you because it'll stop you from getting sick later on. You know it's a good thing, and you know you're going to feel a little pinch and discomfort. But no matter how hard you tried, you'd still get sick from anticipation. Then it's your turn, and the nurse starts rubbing alcohol on your left shoulder. She gives you the heads up that the needle is about to go in. No matter how hard you steel yourself, no matter how many times you hear that the shot is good for you, it still smarts like a mofo. You still wince, and you still hate going through it.

So yeah, I know getting a steady cashish is good and that I'm lucky, but I'm still going to hate it.

No comments: