Monday, May 05, 2003

Everything Is Alright

I finally gave notice to that soul-sucking vortex of misery of a SmallLaw, and boy does it feel right. The turning point was a couple of weeks ago, when a friend of mine who was always the pragmatic "just go in, do your work and find yourself a new job because a paycheck is a paycheck" sort of person, finally said, "Marty, you need to quit that place." For the next several days, all the dreams I could remember were ones of me traveling somewhere, a beach or a new home. When that 90% of the brain you don't use is telling you to escape, what choice does the 10% that you do use have?

As soon as I gave notice, the new associate starting today came into the partner's office. I felt like breaking out into "Circle of Life" in my giddiness, but I kept it in check.

So I lose the girl and I lose the job, and though I still miss the girl, everything finally is fine.

No comments: