Saturday, May 04, 2002

Inertia Creeps

Malaise . . . just thinking about that word leaves a sticky sheen on my tongue. Maybe it's because it ends in "aise" like mayonaise or bernaise. Malaise is an overly heavy word. I think part of the malaise is a reaction to a sense of creeping panic induced by the fact that it has been over a year since I left Big Law. Then there's the fact that April had the highest U.S. unemployment rate in the last seven years. And despite efforts at having a can do attitude about writing, the Willy Loman scenario keeps playing through my head. Oh, and I discovered the works of Adrian Tomine--Morrissey meets Raymond Carver, only in comic book form, not exactly uplifting reading but great reading nonetheless. After the nervous adrenaline wears off, I'm still left feeling a bit blue but too tired to do anything about it.

Anyway, I'll be moving to Lalaland in a week and a half. Out of five friends from law school who moved up to the Bay Area, I'm that last one still up here. It would be rather cliche to say I feel like the prodigal son returning to the fold since I couldn't wait to leave L.A. after I graduated. But it would be rather true as well.

Ugh, remind me not to have the double cheeseburgers over at St. John's Bar & Grill.

No comments: