Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Gravity Always Gets Me Down

There was a book I read a long time ago in which the author correlated bipolar disorders and depression with creativity. It was dry and clinical, which accounts for me not reading all of it and forgetting its name. Anyway, given my current "meh" status, I wouldn't be surprised if the correlation was true. That impulse to create comes from emotion, and if you have no emotion, you might as well write instructions on how to construct cardboard boxes. I used to have tons of ideas, and now, as I said before, "meh."

So what does that mean? I don't want to give up writing just yet. I'm sure there are well-adjusted or highly medicated authors out there. Anyway, I was wondering how all those works by writers in the pre-better living through chemistry era would've turned out if Lexapro had existed.

Edgar Allen Poe--Wrote "Nevermore-- a poem about a man whose wife died, got over it, and married an accountant's daughter from Gaithersburg. Nevermore refers to the mince pie first wife used to make but second wife couldn't repeat the recipe. Hence he nevermore had the pie.

Shakespeare--Wrote "Hamlet"--A comedy about a prince whose father died, so he goes on a comic romp around the world to find himself with his dead father's ghost--the original odd couple.

Rutger Hauer's final soliliquy in Bladerunner--"I've seen things that are mundane beyond belief. Fat chicks eating fries on the shoulder of the Eat N' Go. I've seen traveling salesman picking up dry cleaning near Cleveland. All this will be gone, like something that isn't permanent. Feh."

No comments: