Monday, July 22, 2002

Burn Baby Burn

So I bought this album by Ash, an Irish guitar pop group, after seeing one of their videos on MTV2's 120 Minutes (it had cheerleaders, huh huh, plus it had a great pop hook, something I hadn't heard since Foo Fighters "Learn to Fly," or Veruca Salt's "Seether" but without the annoying high-pitched voices). Then I looked at the lyrics to the song that got me hooked--wow, a catchy driven tune about being stuck in a dead-end relationship.

After my fifth time listening to it, I realized that the lyrics described my feelings toward the legal profession to a tee. Yes, even the "golden hair and pale blue eyes" bit (see, that part symbolizes the promises of the law--big money, big prestige--that excite most young lawyers, much like golden hair and blue eyes describe attributes that excite most men, but like the attractiveness of a woman gets less important as time moves on, especially when you realize she's a psycho, the promises of the law get less important as time moves on once you realize you're fucking miserable).

If I can only use this huge intellect to get me laid. Sigh.

No comments: