Monday, June 02, 2003

In A Seaside Town . . .

So the June Gloom has hit Lalaland. Gray overcast skies that also bring a cool breeze through my dining area window. The gray makes me mopey, the breeze makes me nostalgic. If I'm not careful, I'll end up listening to The Smiths and Joy Division all day while being a miserable sod (OK, a more miserable than usual sod).

Anyway, so today was the first day of writing the novel. Ummm, I'm viewing today as a "Well, you know it's gonna take a while to get your sea legs back" day. The plan was to write about 5000 words a day. Sigh. I have maybe a page and a half of good stuff mixed with another page and a half of stuff that smacks of effort. I know where I want to go with the chapter, but what I've written sounds forced. Plus it doesn't help that my mind still wants to be distracted.

10:00am - Listen to recruiter tell me about contract gig. Find out that contract gig is in the same building as Phuqued Firm. Tell him, "Yeah, I think I'll pass on this one."

10:15am-11:15am - Surf web, write back to PhD chick, still waiting to hear from liberal chick. Try to quash the feeling that this will all end with crappy ABC aftershool special moral of "He could have had two, now he has none." Wonder where Peter Billingsley, star of crappy ABC afterschool special about rich kid with no friends trying to win the girl by being cool only to win the girl by being himself, is these days. Sure he won the girl in the end - he was rich.

11:15am - 1:00pm. - Read Zadie Smith's White Teeth. Forgot what it was like to read a novel. Thinking "Wow, this is well written, but what makes it well-written."

1:00pm - 2:00pm - Wrote the first two pages! Whoo hoo!

2:01pm - Hmmm, trying not to force creativity. Force creativity, you get crap.

2:02pm - 3:00pm - Forced creativity. Got crap.

3:01pm - Try not to get distracted.

3:02pm - Cat curls up on bed. Hey, let's play with the cat!

3:04pm - Finish putting bandaids on arm.

3:05pm - 3:30pm - Trying to figure out where to go from what I've written.

3:30pm - 4:00pm - Go back online. No e-mail from liberal chick. Realizes that she looks like high school girlfriend. IM for a while with friend in Pittsburgh.

4:01 pm - Check number of words written.

4:02 pm - Get really depressed.

4:03pm-5:00pm - Write some dialogue. Can't tell if it is crap yet.

5:00pm - Screw it. Deal with this tomorrow.

Sigh. Hopefully, now that I've gotten some writing done, it'll be a little bit easier tomorrow.

No comments: