Monday, June 16, 2003

This Is How I End Up Getting Sucked In

The traveling dreams are back.

My waking dream started out as a live video game. I was with a group of about twenty men in full combat gear, lined up at the entrance to an aircraft carrier. We were only allowed two weapons, a small pistol and an semi-automatic assault rifle. We had only one clip of ammo for both, but we could pick up additional ammo as well as switch to different weapons once the game began. I was debating whether or not to get rid of the pistol and pick up an rpg if I could find one, but decided to stick with the weapons I had - I figured that most of the time would be spent in the narrow corridors of the carrier where maneuverability was at a premium and an rpg could end up blowing you to bits as well as the nasties that you'd be fighting. The buzzer rang to indicate the game would begin. Our job was to exterminate spectral presences in the aircraft carrier.

Instead of rushing through the entrance, I decided to pick up additional ammo that was laying around the floor - it was dangerous to run out of ammo in mid-fire fight. Stairs led up from the entrance to the exterior of the carrier. I looked over the side to see a gray ocean that was slowly beginning to freeze over.

The game no longer existed. I was a passenger on the aircraft carrier that had been converted into a transport ship. Everyone else was in the process of getting acquianted with the layout of the ship and the activities that would be made available to the passengers. Me, I had been lugging heavy baggage for what seemed like forever. I looked out at the ocean for a little while longer, but then slowly began to feel nauseous. I checked the map of the carrier to find my room, which was on the starboard side in the fore of the ship. I wanted to settle in as my payment for transport wasn't money but services - I was to mediate any military disputes that would arise.

In the dream I had the night before, I was trying to leave a hotel up in the Nevada mountains. Snow capped the black, jagged peaks, and it was freezing despite the fact it was June.

No comments: